JEWISH COMMUNITY SECONDARY SCHOOL
with RHWL Architects
for Jewish Community Secondary School Trust
This new 1310-place secondary school was built in two phases, allowing East Barnet School to remain operational whilst new premises elsewhere were completed. The school includes the Pears Special Resource Unit for secondary aged pupils at all points on the autistic spectrum. Livingston Eyre were appointed to take the design from concept stage through to completion.
The school is approached across a formal plaza, broken by green blocks of lawn and trees that reﬂect the irregular geometry of the wings.
These forms emphasise the main entrance, creating a legible and intuitive route.
At the rear, each courtyard has an educational and social use: performance, outdoor dining, habitat areas, sensory gardens, raised growing beds and small, quiet zones.
Native screen planting to the perimeter links the school habitat areas visually and ecologically with Monken Hadley Wood.